Uridine triacetate (By mouth)
Uridine Triacetate (URE-i-deen trye-AS-e-tate)
Treats hereditary orotic aciduria. Also treats overdose of fluorouracil or capecitabine and possible life-threatening side effects caused by these cancer drugs.
Vistogard, XuridenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- You might need to use only some of the medicine in the packet. To use part of a packet: Measure each dose carefully with an accurate scale or marked teaspoon. Your health caregiver should show you how to measure this medicine. Throw away any medicine left over in the opened packet.
- To prepare with food:
- Mix the granules in 3 to 4 ounces of applesauce, pudding, or yogurt.
- Swallow the mixture immediately or within 30 minutes. Do not chew the granules. Do not save any of the mixture to use later.
- Drink at least 4 ounces of water.
- To prepare with milk or infant formula:
- Pour 5 mL of milk or infant formula into a medicine cup. Draw up the liquid into an oral syringe.
- Hold the syringe with the tip up. Pull the plunger down to 10 mL to make room for the granules.
- Cap the tip of the syringe, point the tip down, and remove the plunger. Pour the granules into the syringe. Gently swirl the syringe to mix.
- Place the tip of the syringe in the back of the baby's mouth, between the cheek and gum. Gently push the plunger all the way down.
- Refill the syringe with another 5 mL of milk or infant formula.
- Gently swirl to rinse any granules. Administer in the baby's mouth as before.
- Your baby may drink a bottle of formula or milk afterwards.
- Feeding tube: Your health caregiver will show you how to mix and administer each dose, if needed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. If you vomit within 2 hours of taking a dose of Vistogard®, take another full dose immediately. Then, take your next dose at your regularly scheduled time.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop using this medicine, even if you feel well.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Vomiting, nausea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/6/2020