Sodium phosphate dibasic/sodium phosphate monobasic (Into the rectum)
Sodium Phosphate, Dibasic (SOE-dee-um FOS-fate, dye-BAY-sik), Sodium Phosphate, Monobasic (SOE-dee-um FOS-fate, mono-BAY-sik)
Used to relieve constipation. This medicine is a laxative.
Fleet, Fleet Enema, Fleet Enema EXTRA, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Complete Enema, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Enema, Good Sense Enema, Health Mart Enema, Leader Enema, Pedia-Lax, Pure & Gentle Saline, QC Enema, Saline Laxative, Sunmark Saline Laxative, TopCare EnemaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to sodium phosphate dibasic or sodium phosphate monobasic. Children under 2 years of age should not receive this medicine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Use this medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- This medicine is for rectal use only. Do not swallow this medicine.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Lie on your left side with your left leg straight or slightly bent, and your right knee bent upward. Insert the applicator tip into your rectum about an inch. Gently squeeze the bottom of the bottle to release the enema.
- Remove the bottle and throw it away.
- If your child is using half of the bottle, unscrew the cap and remove 2 tablespoons of liquid with a measuring spoon. Replace the cap and use as directed.
- Do not use if the seal of the bottle is broken or missing.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you are using another product that contains sodium phosphate.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or are on a sodium-restricted diet.
- Before you use this medicine, tell your doctor if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting. Tell him if you have already used a laxative for more than 1 week, or if you have had changes in your bowel movements recently.
- Call your doctor if you do not have a bowel movement within 30 minutes after you use the enema.
- Do not use more than 1 enema in a 24-hour period. Follow up with your doctor as directed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding from your rectum
- Confusion, dizziness, unusual tiredness or weakness
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022