Magnesium sulfate (By injection)
Magnesium Sulfate (mag-NEE-zee-um SUL-fate)
Prevents seizures in pregnant women with severe eclampsia. Also supplies your body with magnesium, when needed, and treats muscle spasms caused by severe low levels of magnesium in the blood. Treats barium poisoning, brain swelling, and uncontrolled rapid heartbeat.
PremierPro Rx Magnesium Sulfate, magnesium sulfate NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to magnesium sulfate, or if you have heart damage or heart block (a problem with heart rhythm).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein or a muscle.
- This medicine may need to be injected slowly, sometimes over several hours.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using an antibiotic such as clindamycin, polymyxin B, streptomycin, tetracycline, or tobramycin, or a cardiac glycoside such as digoxin.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy. This includes sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Talk to your doctor before you receive this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Flushing or sweating
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Trouble breathing
- Weakness, or loss of feeling or muscle control
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022