Atracurium (By injection)
Relaxes muscles during surgery or other medical procedures.
PremierPro Rx atracurium besylateThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to atracurium besylate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how atracurium works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- Antibiotics such as amikacin, gentamicin, streptomycin, tobramycin
- Magnesium salts
- Medicine for heart rhythm problems, such as quinidine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, asthma, tumors, severe allergies, or a muscle disease such as myasthenia gravis or Eaton-Lambert syndrome.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Abnormal rise in body temperature
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Fever, sweating, or confusion
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Severe redness or warmth on your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash or itching
- Numbness or tingling in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Redness, pain, swelling, itching, or blistering where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 5/1/2020